Subject: [Leica] Leica Literature - Long
From: "Lee Yan Zhan" <yzlee@cyberway.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 23:47:55 +0800

Dear LUGGERs,

I've just finished by closet cleaning today and is very surprised with the
amount of Leica Literature I have accumulated over the years.

My first book was the "Leica M Compendum" by Jonathan Eastland(Hove Books).
 Despite some errors pointed out by fellow Luggers, I still feel this is
the best book for beginners who are thinking about moving to M systems.
Apart from running through the usual specifications on the various M bodies
and lens, the book also in some detail about the unique ways of rangefinder
photography.  The B&W pictures are quite pleasant and there is a chapter on
Photojournalism which I find quite useful.  The appendices also has a DOF
table.  Its a book written from a user's pespective.

"Leica M Photography" by Brian Bower is another book written, I suspect
also, from a user's pespective.  There are many beautiful colour photos
taken by different lens, both new and old.  There are 2 excellent bokeh
photos on Pg  48 Noct 1.2 and Pg 61 Summicron 50/2(1968) that inspired me
to acquire the lens.  I also find the chapter on Choice of Film to be very
useful.  However, this book has less detail on rangefinder photography
compared to Eastland book.

This brings me to the ultimate M book for users - "Leica M" by Gunter
Osterloh.  I always felt that its like a supplement to the instruction
book.  There are immense amount of equipment information and an interesting
chapter on photography - to write with light, written like a procedural
manual.  Don't expect to see lots of beautiful photographs.  If I relates
this to my military experience, Eastland and Bowers books are like
instruction books written by tank drivers, and the Osterloh book is written
by the tank designer.  This is rightly so because I later discover the Mr.
Osterloh is from Leica.  Nevetheless, in my opinion, this is still a
must-have book if you can get your hands on one.

Mr. Osterloh has also written "Applied Leica Technique" which is dedicated
to R system.  The style, format and presentation of both books are similar.

In the pursuit of looking for books that has more on older M camera and
lens, I have purchased  many editions of the "Leica Manual" - 1935, 1947,
1951, 1961, 1973.  Its almost one for every decade.  You can still find
them in reasonable condition and price($15-20).  Every decade covers in
detail the latest camera of that decade.  Some of the information are not
applicable anymore but its interesting to read the issues they were facing
in those times.  A good combination of information on equipment,
photographic practises, development, history and on Leica Collection is
covered.  There are also articles written by famous personalities who were
part of that era.  I am always intrigue by Leica's influence on the
evolution of 35mm photography.  Again, these books are a must for Leica
Users and Historians.

Two years ago in NY, I acquired "The Leica Book" by Theo Kisselbach and
"Tydings Guide to Leica Camera".  Again, I suspect, these books were
supplementary to the instruction books -  small versions of the Leica
Manuals and they were indeed more user friendly than the instruction books.
 Occasionally, I do make reference on using old accessories with them.

I found the book "My Life with LEICA" by Walter Benser in my last trip to
London.  A very candid and readable autobiography on one of the Leica
legendary figure.  Strangely, this the book that inspired me to make a trip
to Leica Graceland - Weltzar and Solms.  Wish I had a time machine to go
back to his interstate Leica lectures.  After reading this book, I started
taking pictures in all kind positions disregard of my attire or
weather/ground conditions.

In my recent trip to NY, I purchased "Identifying Leica Cameras" by Ghester
Sartorius.  This is a pocket book for Leica collectors with useful digest
information on SM/M/R cameras with comprehensive serial no list and rarity
gradings.  However, it is not a price guide.  A very useful book for
beginners looking for used cameras.

"Leica - the First 70 years" by Gianni Rogliatti is my first Leica
Collectors Book.  It covers mainly the history, with photos of rare Leica
experimental and production cameras.  Most importantly, it has an appendix
with a complete list of Leica accessories codes and description.  That
alone justify the price!!!

With this book and the wonderful "Leica, An Illustrated History Vol
1(Camera) & 2(Lenses)" by James Lager, I became the Leica-M-Mania -
complete nut on everything Leica M.  Lager's books are full of beautiful
photos on camera and lens of every version from day one.  It is a very
importand resource for user and collectors alike - highly recommended.
With Rogliatti's book, I can find out what my Leica friends are talking
about, then search Lager's books for a photo.

Lastly, I must pay compliments to the "Viewfinder" which is a quarterly
periodical by the Leica Historical Society of America.  I have copies from
1990 till today - by far, a very important resource for users and
collectors alike.  The information presented is very readable and
accurate(except for one forgiveable non-leica error in the current issue on
a photo submitted by my friend, Dr Dan CC Khong - his name was misspelled
as Dr CC Chong).  For any Leica user who is not planning to buy any of the
books mentioned above, this is the least you must get!!!

With that, I will close my humble and long opinion on Leica Literature.
Last but not least, I must thank the LUG.  To all my fellow LUGGERS, you
have been the most informative, humourous, creative, talented and
resourceful bunch of Global LeicaManias.  Please keep it up - I have no
problems deleting messages.

Best Regards,

Lee
Fellow LUGGER from Singapore