Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm questions
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:12:15 +0800 (PRC)

Harrison wrote,
>We had a borrowed (from NPS) Nikon 15 3.5 in the office a few weeks back
>and the thing seemed to have a big problem with flare.

Harrison,
Yes - that was my experience too. I asked Ted Grant some while back
about flare with the R15 and he said he managed ok but that he
expected you have to be careful with any lens with such a big front
element and wide view.
The Canon 14 seems to be much better than the Nikon 15 flarewise and it
is a more convenient size and shape: however it is not that great in
the corners. If you used the old 20-35L I think you will know what I
mean! My current thinking is that my best option is to get the Contax
16mm plus the Canon 14mm - still cheaper and lighter than the
Leica/Zeiss 15. In the meantime I am stopping down my 17-35 @ 17mm to
about f11 when I need usable corner detail. Otherwise I use my M21 when
possible: I do however often find this combo difficult to hold
perfectly level for some strange reason and would prefer an SLR for
critical wideangle work if the quality was there so the R15 stills
tempts...

Rgds from rainy Shanghai

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw