Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #53
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:12:08 +0800 (PRC)

Bill Franson wrote,

> I've used a Nikon
>SC-17 cord and attached an SB-24, Vivitar 283, or Vivitar 1900 on to it. I
>lose the hot shoe though, which rules out using my 21mm.

Bill - try epoxying an accessory shoe onto the top of the Nikon cord
part that plugs into the camera hot-shoe. Then you can plug in the
finder on top of that.

Actually in my discussions with Leica management I proposed that they
make a bracket which slots in to the shoe on the M camera, provides a
very short sync lead option to the rear PC sockets for the older
non-hot-shoe Ms and two spaced hot-shoes on the top. It could be a low
profile device and would allow use of w/a viewfinders at the same time
as flash or even two flash contacts (for on camera and off camera at
the same time perhaps). It would also sidestep the awkward plug-in
adapters for the M2 and M3 which IME protrude too much.

If they ever made this gizmo and it SHOULD be simple enough to not cost
a lot even for Leica it could have a big market for most/all the M
users who use flash. If they don't maybe the true King of Leica, Mr Tom
Abrahamsson, will help us out!

In the meantime I have had M3s and M4s customised by Reinhold Mueller
with hotshoes (and Rapidwinder connections). Very nice!

Bests

Adrian

P.S. I know it is heresy to use flash on Ms but I do and I cannot see
how a colour photographer - particularly of transparencies - can do a
professional-level job without it in a great many situations.

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist
Shanghai, China