Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica the first candid?
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:08:54 -0400

Ted and Claes,

When I worked for our daily paper from 1980-84 it was required that we
wear a clean shirt, tie and presentable pants. No jeans except on
Saturdays when we covered football (and we still had to wear a tie or at
least have one with us). It was as much for the image of the newspaper
since we were the face that the public saw. Usually the reporters did
their stories via the telephone. We were out being seen.

Now, the current staff is not required to wear them. Shorts. T-shirts.
Attire like that. I must confess that I like their work but it's
interesting to hear government and corporate people who I used to
photograph comment on their wardrobe and how unprofessional it looks.

That being said, now that I do commercial work and am self-employed, I
usually dress for the situation. Corporate = coat & tie; Construction or
industrial = OSHA compliant. One thing I will not sacrifice is
comfortable footwear. For that I am always on a quest.

My final criteria for any clothing is that it does not make my client
feel uncomfortable or embarassed nor that I feel awkward or out of place
because of what I'm wearing. Leicas, Canons, Hasselblads or whatever.

Carl S.

Ted Grant wrote:

> >Ted wrote:
SNIP

> Claes,
> we had to wear shirt, tie, jacket and slacks or suits "all the time!" And
> it didn't matter if you got called in the middle of the day to go cover a
> fire, car crash, murder or flash flood. No, it didn't make sense sometimes,
> certainly when we were caught shooting some thing other than a hard news
> item for the fashion editor.
>
> However if we did a fire thing and were at the scene for several hours we
> were always compensated for clothes cleaning costs. Most of us had quick
> change clothes in the car so that in some cases we could get into "more
> appropriate clothing for the flood." :)

SNIP

> Maybe Eric or one of the other American news type photogs can answer for
> their country.
>
> ted

- --
Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.