Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash for M's
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 07:56:10 -0700

Bill Franson wrote:

> I'm following the flash threads with interest. Does anyone have experience
> with the Lumedyne system? And used in conjunction with an M6? I try
> whenever possible to use my M4 or M6 on editorial projects and would rather
> not have to pull out my Nikon when the going gets dark. I like to get the
> flash off the camera, especially when shooting verticals. I've used a Nikon
> SC-17 cord and attached an SB-24, Vivitar 283, or Vivitar 1900 on to it. I
> lose the hot shoe though, which rules out using my 21mm. A Lumedyne head
> looks light, easily cupable and hand held, and can be used bare bulb. Any
> thoughts, comments? I'd love to use an infrared transmitter so I could lose
> the sync attachment. Possible?

Bill,
Two different philosophies.  Lumidyne is primarily for fixed position
and constant output.  The SBs and other are TTL.  Consider the Q-flash
from Quantum.  Up to 400 ws of TTL.  I am considering this as relatively
lightweight but powerful system for travel and portraiture.  They work
barebulb and also with thyristor, so could maybe do what you wish with
Ms, but will dwarf the camera.

donal
- --
- ---