Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Help With Film & Airports
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 17:23:35 -0400

At 03:53 PM 5/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

>I understand the new xray scanners for checked luggage will probably fry my
>film.  I plan on carrying the film in gallon sized zip lock clear plastic
>bags for hand inspection.
>
>Here's the question:  Do I open up all the sealed boxes of film and keep
>the plastic cannisters separate from the actual film - or should I keep
>everything sealed in the cardboard boxes?

>Happy shooting,
>
>Richard

Richard -

Take the film out of the boxes, but leave it in the canisters to protect
from dust, moisture, etc.  This is the way I carried it until a few years
ago.  I was carrying 400 rolls of film in canisters, in plastic bags,
through the airport in Russia.  Security insisted on opening all 400
canisters to be sure it was actually film!!  Luckily I had a long layover.
Now I take the film out of the canisters and put it in see-through
Tupperware containers that hold six rolls.  Easy to slip in my pocket and
still be dust and water-proof.  Have fun and be careful!!  Best wishes - Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>