Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica is Listening!
From: Emanuel-Temp_Lowi@READERSDIGEST.COM
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 11:38:10 -0400

Re: M7 wish lists:
My main wish would be to modernize the loading. While there was once a good
reason for the bottom loading with flip-up back (maintaining structural
rigidity), I think we've seen plenty of rigid high tech cameras today (F5,
RTS, EOS, etc.). Give us auto-loading with a regular hinged back, maybe
with auto advance to frame #1. An auto rewind option would be great too.
Obviously, this means a built-in motor, but I don't need this to be super
speed: 2 FPS would be just fine, the noise level is the most important
factor for me (see Hexar). Load and rewind are the two areas where
M-cameras are still much slower than today's designs, and this can be a big
problem for photojournalists shooting rapidly moving situations that
require quick film re-supply. Sure, this was alright in the 1960s, but so
was the horse-and-buggy 100 years ago.
The other electronic advances (AE, AF, DX, higher shutter speeds) are nice
but I can live without them.
I would be happy to see a spot metering pattern as an option.
In my opinion, the M-camera shape is already more "ergonomic" than anything
else made. The rounded sides fit in the hand perfectly in both horizontal
and vertical positions and the controls are ideally placed (for right-eyed
users).
While I bought a Leica-made M-grip, I really don't think the camera needs
this, except for the very occasional tripod- or flash-bracket situation.