Subject: Re: [Leica] Q for the pros
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 07:44:46 -0700

Bryan Willman wrote:

> Donal - what sorts of cameras are you shooting this with?
> You use motors heavily, I take it?  Do you use aqua-housings
> or bags, or are you just really careful not to drop stuff?

Bryan,
Nikon N90 mostly.  Occasionally F3 and Leica M.  20, 35-70, 80-200, 300.

No housings.  Water not usually a problem on these things.  We don't
shoot in bad weather--it never rains in pleasureboat land.

I am paranoid as hell about dropping things.  But only things lost
(besides two Tilley hats left somewhere) are a filter that fell out of
pocket when sliding down a hill with water at bottom.  A 67mm went into
drink.  And a lens cap.

But I have developed a pretty careful way of moving with equipment.
None ever goes out over water without two hands on it--say when
transferring boat to boat.  Very careful, move slow.  It is hard because
your attention is often on scene and what you see through finder and not
where your feet are.

On sailboats the problem is banging into things with gear, since you
often have to crouch to move and lots of stings and wires to snag
things.  Also more chance of water with healing and waves and less
predictable stability.  Most good sailing pix shot from small power boat
along side.
Hope this helps.

donal
- ---