Subject: Re: [Leica] R state of the art?
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 22:34:51 +0100

<<<<<< Now the question is why the Canadian products aren't made there any
more.  I don't know. Seemed OK to me, and I shot the IIIf yesterday. Got an
answer?>>

Hi Marshall,

It had something to do with economics partially, but the main reason was
the notion that if a Leica isn't made in Germany, then it is inferior!

We see this question come up on the LUG quite often, "Which is better the
Canadian made version or the German version?"  Which of course is a
rediculous question as a lens is a lens no matter which country, Canada or
germany makes it.

The Noctilux for example was designed and made in Canada originally and yet
we still have folks asking the same dumb questions about which is better.

So the long run is, it was common sense to move the Leica assembling and
manufacturing back to Germany to avoid questions and to improve sales.

ted