Subject: Re: [Leica] R state of the art?
From: "adrian bradshaw" <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 07:50:31 +0800

Alan Hull wrote

>Being a Leica user is like sitting in the back of a Rolls-Royce listening
>to an argument on the radio between Ford and Volkswagen owners.

an unfortunate metaphor in the context of Volkswagen's bid for Rolls Royce
is it not?

Aloofness is all very well but Leica nearly went belly up on a couple or
more occasions as a direct result of such an attitude: the failure to take
on the competition from Japan has turned the quintessential
photojournalist's camera into a toy for the rich enthusiast, a retro fashion
statement and only incidentally a professional tool for the very rare pro
(or enthusiastic amateur) who wants the ultimate in optics in 35mm and can
afford the downside.

You also quipped

<<Personally, I think the Japanese as developers and polishers of the basic
LEICA concept have outlived their usefulness.  This is the reason that
Nikon have to transfer production to CHINA !!!>>

You might be interested to know that Leica (the company that makes surveying
instruments) has a factory here in Shanghai. Your attitude towards the
Japanese sounds somewhat patronising - would you say that Leica Camera have
run out of steam because they have transferred some production to Canada,
Portugal and yes even Japan?

Rgds