Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital
From: "adrian bradshaw" <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 22:08:13 +0800

Eric Welch wrote

>How is the Sinar ahead of the S1? I've seen the stats, and being a user of
>digital cameras, I'd say the S1 looks like the best thing going for what it
>is. It certainly takes a much wider range of lenses, and if I'm not
>mistaken has a wider dynamic range.

Well for a start it has no movements, no dedicated range of lenses with
appropriate coverage for such movements and it is so far as I have heard not
actually available - your price quote notwithstanding (pls correct me if I
am wrong and also let me know if you know of anyone who uses one).

But really my point was that a still life studio camera is hardly the kind
of machine Leica needs to revamp its reputation: if Hasselblad came out with
a digital picture desk would it help them?? - Answer: they did and it didn't
and I feel that Leica is erring into territory alien to and at the expense
of their core business. Get the R8 debugged and motorised then we'll see! ;)