Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #31
From: "adrian bradshaw" <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 11:00:22 +0800

Eric wrote -

>Excuse me? Hear of the S1? It's THE state of the art studio digital camera.
>Leica through and through. And even uses Hassleblad, Rollei and other MF
>lenses as well as all M and R lenses.

Yes I have heard of the S1 and it is impressive but it is hardly Leica
through and through - where in the Leica tradition does a state of the art
studio camera fit? and is the S1 anything more than a mock up? I mean have
they actually put it on the market and is anybody buying it? My impression
and that of the people in the business of selling Leicas I have spoken with
is that it is nothing more than a design project. And I would have to add
that Sinar have digital studio cameras that are streets ahead of the S1 and
are selling widely - even in China!

I would also contend that the 70-180 is state of the art only in imaging
performance and that is really not the be-all and end-all of 'state of the
art': it may be sufficient for certain hobbyists and a tiny proportion of
the pro market but for the majority it is clear that even those for whom
money is no object Canon and Nikon define the state of the art. Don't get me
wrong - I know that Leica makes wonderful lenses and in many cases the
optical quality more than compensates for the other deficiencies but lets
not kid ourselves that they are really pushing the envelope in optical
technology. The distinction IMHO is simply that they make a niche product
that suits us: it is like comparing Aston Martin to Mercedes and I know
which I would prefer and I also know which is (relatively) 'state of the
art' in engineering.

Bests

Adrian