Subject: [Leica] Re:off topic - flat earth
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 10:02:32 +0100

>Dan C wrote:
>
>> He (Mr. Faul) may as well have said that in his opinion the Earth is
>> flat.
>> Would you actually argue the point with him?
>
>Absolutely not! I was mortified to learn that Britain's 'Flat Earth
>Society' had closed down some years ago. I wanted to join...

BTW, The Flat Earth Society used a stretch of canal the 'Old Bedford Level'
in Cambridgeshire to prove that the Earth was flat using an uninterrupted 6
miles of canal to show lack of curvature of the planet's surface. In 1904
Lady Blount, an 'anti-globularist' decided to use photography to prove the
flatness of the earth, and so hired Mr Clifton of Dallmeyer's who was
equipped with the firm's latest photo-telescopic camera. This was set up at
one end of the stretch of canal, whilst a large sheet was hung over a bridge
at the other. It was demonstrated by this method that, unless light can
somehow travel along a curved path, that the earth is indeed flat.

Our photographs are more likely to show us what we believe than to allow us
to believe what we see. My work has never shown the earth to be round, I
will not tolerate all this globularist nonsense - any modern weather
forecast will prove that satellites don't know shit. And as for the Earth
rotating - what an idea! Whatever next?

If someone wants to take the latest Leica photo-telescopic apparatus to
Cambridgeshire and use it to try and demonstrate the roundness of the Earth,
then I'm sure the LUG will welcome the results with its usual sceptical good
humour.

All the best
Alex Brattell