Subject: Re: [Leica] Identity of Leica Screw mount Camera and Bokeh
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 01:05:33 +0200

Robert:

I like your picture at <http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/Payson.JPG>,
and - besides its quality as a fine portrait - it's a very good
example of the Summar's rendition.

The in-focus area is very fine and additionally accentuated by the
out-of-focus area, which is a little more unsharp than we are used
from more modern lenses.

This very special rendition is unique (I've never seen it in another
lens), and is described by Leitz in early lens descriptions from the
middle of the 30ies.

I love that lens, as you know from my recent subjective lens reports
in the LUG, and it's a _must_ to see it's rendition in color film,
in slides if possible, specially with a little sun shine ... :)

Besides, meanwhile there are several LUG members who currently
bought that lens and who are - like me - rather enthusiastic on
their results. One of them suggested to create an LTM sub-group
in the LUG.

I hope, that you are pleased with your Summar/ Elmar comparison ...

Best,

Alf

At 23:34 01.05.1998 -0300, you wrote:
>Alf:
>
>After reading your comments on the lens, I decided to put a roll of film
>through the camera and see how it performs.  I went to supper this evening
>at our Yacht Club and joined Payson and his wife at their table.  The below
>linked picture was taken with the IIIa and the 5cm  F2 Summar.  It
>certainly does have a 3d look to it.  Not bad for an uncoated lens made
>over sixty years ago!  It was shot on Tri-X and developed in Rodinal 1-50.
>The image is a direct scan from the negative.
>
>http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/Payson.JPG
>
>Thanks once again for your comments on this lens.  I had bought the camera
>for resale, but now I may wish to keep the lens for use on my M6 with a
>bayonet adapter I have.  This afternoon I had mounted the M6 on a tripod
>and took a picture with the summar and a new 50 2.8 Elmar.  It will be
>interesting to see the slides and the lens performs in with colour film.
>
>Regards,
>
>Robert Stevens

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm