Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 lens-body mount problem --- follow-up
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 19:10:35 +0100

>Some luggers on this list were so kind as to give their remarks on this.
>I followed Ted's suggestion to contact the Leica Technical Department at
>Solms. They were very prompt at giving me an answer. I must say I really
>appreciate the efficiency of the people at the Leica Solms information
>service (Mrs. A. von Gyimes). This kind of personal service is simply
>without parallel in the SLR manufacturers' world!

"""The fact that your Vario-Apo-Elmarit-R 70-180mm slightly turns on your
>Leica R8 body mount when focussing the lens is normal and within normal
>tolerance levels. It is easier to notice this effect with this lens
>because of its bigger moving mass, and it happens with all R cameras.
>Our customer service could possibly minimize this movement somewhat but
>this has really no effect on real life photography.>>>>>>>

Hi Pascal,

Good to hear you were well looked after with a solid immediate answer.

At the moment I believe every R8 owner, if they seem to have a problem,
they should immediately go directly to Solms or if in the US contact Leica
in New Jersey.

We are all aware that it is a new model camera and even though some of us
have had the very good fortune to buy an R8 and have absolutely no problems
with it, there have been some who have not been so fortunate. I believe any
problem should immediately go to the scource rather than the local dealer.
In some cases the dealer is great, but even then they have to go another
step back for an answer.

By going directly to the scource begets a quicker answer usually due to it
being a new model Leica, they are anxious to look after those who have had
the courage to buy early rather than hang back like many do with a new
design.

>This sounds reassuring. Maybe I'll drop off my R8 when I am at the Leica
>Academy in Solms in September to check everything is OK.

Excellent idea, why not? You're right at the factory and what a better time
to have it checked over. They might be only to glad to have one come in
that isn't broken, they can check over as to how it has stood up to the
wear and tear of daily use.

ted