Subject: [Leica] R8 lens-body mount problem --- follow-up
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 22:16:09 +0200

Hello friends:

a week ago I posted a question on this list on the fact that lenses,
especially the heavier ones like the 70-180 f/2.8 Apo, appeared to have
some play on the R8 body mount when manipulating the lens (e.g.
focussing).
Some luggers on this list were so kind as to give their remarks on this.
I followed Ted's suggestion to contact the Leica Technical Department at
Solms. They were very prompt at giving me an answer. I must say I really
appreciate the efficiency of the people at the Leica Solms information
service (Mrs. A. von Gyimes). This kind of personal service is simply
without parallel in the SLR manufacturers' world!

Here it goes:

Die Tatsache, da=DF sich Ihr Vario-Apo-Elmarit-R 70-180 mm im Bajonett
Ihrer Leica R8 noch "leicht" mitdreht beim fokussieren ist normal und
innerhalb der erlaubten Toleranzen. Bei diesem Objektiv macht sich das,
wegen der gr=F6=DFeren Bewegender Massen, eher bemerkbar und kommt bei alle=
Leica R-Kameras vor.
Unser Kundendienst k=F6nnte eventuell diese Bewegung etwas minimieren aber
das hat wirklich keinen >Einflu=DF f=FCr die fotografischen Praxis.

The fact that your Vario-Apo-Elmarit-R 70-180mm slightly turns on your
Leica R8 body mount when focussing the lens is normal and within normal
tolerance levels. It is easier to notice this effect with this lens
because of its bigger moving mass, and it happens with all R cameras.
Our customer service could possibly minimize this movement somewhat but
this has really no effect on real life photography.

This sounds reassuring. Maybe I'll drop off my R8 when I am at the Leica
Academy in Solms in September to check everything is OK.

Pascal

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r