Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: mtf test of leica R lenses
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 1:06 +0100 (PDT)

Tom Shea writes:

> This shows the differences between US and French law and your
> application in
> this case.  Under US law the information you presented would be far in
> excess
> of that allowed as a "short citation."

Surely both the US and France are signatories of the 1988 Berne Copyright
Convention? So why the difference *at all*?

As one who contributes to magazines, I would counsel against stealing from
them. Even if those who do consider the web to be somehow "special", or
hope that the magazine won't come after them simply because it won't
discover use of their copyright material on an obscure mailing list.

If writers lose out like this, eventually they will stop writing. Some may
*say* they do it for the love of it, but we all have bills to pay and food
to buy. You don't shoplift (I hope), so don't steal from writers just
because you can.

            David Morton  |  "saepius ventis agitatur ingens
dmorton@journalist.co.uk  |  pinus est celsae graviore casu
   Islington, London, UK  |  decidunt turres feriuntque summos
      (+44) 171 272 8908  |  fulgura montis." (Horace)