Subject: Re: [Leica] Brassai
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:36:07 -0500

At 11:26 AM 4/24/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Is this Tmax + highly dilluted Tmax developer the hot ticket these days, or
>is John Sexton just using the stuff because it comes in Readyloads?

Yes. Forget HC-110 with TMax film, it's horrible!

John Sexton is one of the people Kodak used as a consultant in designing
that developer. I actually was in on it too. I was using it for six months
before it was on the market. I still really like it. The nice thing about
TMax developer that other developers I'm aware of don't have is that even
at high dilutions, its keeping power is great. With dilute HC-110 you have
to double up the chemical. So a four reel tank you can only process two
films and not exhaust the developer. With TMax, according to John, you can
use all four reels with film and the developer doesn't "exhaust." :-)

Great stuff.

But there's one other thing to try first before settling. If you don't use
P3200, Press Maxx developer was specifically designed to be used with TMax
100 and 400. Tri-X tonality with TMax grain. But with P3200 it stinks! Golf
ball sized grain. But maybe that's just my development technique. But all
my co-workers felt the same.

Some days I really miss the darkroom printing black and white prints for
the paper on deadline. What fun! (And ulcer-producing pressure!) Photoshop
and scanning just isn't quite the same.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!