Subject: Re: [Leica] What is a "moulded" asperical element?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:20:27 -0500

At 08:23 PM 4/24/98 +0000, you wrote:
>What is a "moulded" asperical element? How many types are there?  What
>is the difference?  Just curious.  Thanks.

Moulded is where they "press" the lens while the glass is still hot pretty
much into the shape it will be. No major polishing required afterwards.
Much cheaper than grinding an aspherical shape into the glass, and one
reason they are not more affordable to make.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!