Subject: Re: [Leica] Brassai
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 22:17:20 -0700

> From: Paul and Paula Butzi
> I just finished a sort of lazy film evaluation.  For 35mm work, I've
> settled on TMY (TMax-400), with occasional rolls of TMZ (Tmax 3200p).  I
expose the
> TMY at about ei200.  TMZ is exposed at either ei800 or ei1600 and is used
> only as a last resort.
> >Suggestions would be most welcome before I go out and buy hundreds of
feet
> >of the wrong stuff!

I noticed that Agfa wasn't mentioned in your post, Paul and Paula. I have
used Agfa
APX25 in my M6, especially with the DR Summicron 50/2 (on a tripod) in
close-up mode. Results are amazing! 11x14s don't show even a trace of grain
and 16x20s would be outstanding, if I ever get some bigger trays.

Then, I bought some 4x5 used film holders that still had Agfa APX100 in
them. I only exposed a couple of sheets, but was so impressed that I just
ordered more from B&H. The APX100 has that special mid-tones "sparkle" that
makes you want to frame the negative. Lens was a Rodenstock APO 135/5.6
Sironar.

All processing was done with Cachet's AB55 developer - steel reels and
tanks with 35mm, JOBO for the 4x5. I've used the AB55 successfully with
other films and like how it works with 35mm Tri-X. But based on a few
rolls/sheets, the AB55 and Agfa APX seem made for each other.

Gary Todoroff