Subject: [Leica] Re: an objective evaluation of leica M lenses and the noctilux
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:14:22 +0200

>Thanks Erwin for the perfect reply
>You are great
>
>...PROFITABLE to someone IS TO READ LESS BOOKS AND SHOT MORE
>ROLLS...
>
>      Guido Ridoli
>  LEICA M superfan
>  guirid+AEA-numerica.it

To read less books ? Your abnormal passion for the Noctilux leads you to
say foolish things.
The Noctilux is a special lens  developed by ELCAN for military purpose. A
focusing mount has been made later for the Leica M. Here is the explanation
of the removing head.
I used a borrowed Noctilux and my conclusion is straightforward : I prefer
to shoot (photograph) with my Summicron using Fuji 800.I don't see the
rationale of the purchasing of a Noctilux but I'm quite ready to change my
mind when a great photographer (Ralph Gibson for instance)will show me
great prints made with that "great" lens.
Now I respect your "subjective" evaluation.If you have enough money to put
in that lens, why not ?
But I prefer read a test (cost :30 FRF) before purchasing a lens whose
reputation goes beyond the quality (cost of a noctilux :20,000 FRF !).
One can contest the test as you and Erwin do.But the tests of "Chasseur
d'images" have never been seriously contested.If the tests were not
"objective" (sic), or if "the defects of the CDI method (were) quite clear"
(sic), do you believe that Leica and the other companies would remain
without an answer ?
Let me tell you a story slightly off topics. I read some years ago the test
of the NIKKOR AF 1.8/85. They wrote the lens lacked contrast at full
aperture. I did not believe them and I bought the lens. Well they were
right : my B'and W' prints were gray and I do think I'm not a beginner in
the darkroom. It is important to read books AND to photograph.

Dominique