Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: an objective evaluation of leica M lenses and the noctilux
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:35:21 +0200

>One can contest the test as you and Erwin do.But the tests of "Chasseur
>d'images" have never been seriously contested.If the tests were not
>"objective" (sic), or if "the defects of the CDI method (were) quite clear"
>(sic), do you believe that Leica and the other companies would remain
>without an answer ?
I did not 'contest' the test of CdI. I only drew attention to the fact that
they use some interpretative weighting of numbers to reach their verdict
and I cited the magazine explicitly when I noted that their method
disadvantages the wide aperture lenses.
And yes I truly believe that "Leica and the other companies would remain
without an answer".
No tests I know of by whatever magazine in whatever period of time have
ever been commented upon by the manufacturer. PopPhoto has made evaluations
of Leica lenses most Luggers would not like to believe. And many magazines
in the world, including English, German and French ones have made
observations about lenses that were far removed from any kind of serious
analysis, objective or otherwise. I do not know of any optical company that
has ever complained officially about any statement about lenses in the
press.
Your reasoning seems to be: some Leica lenses are bad because Leica has not
published the MTF graphs. All conclusions of Chasseurs d'Image are right
because no one contested them officially. In the same vein I could say:
Leica has never disputed my conclusions, so they must be correct and true.
Of course this kind of arguing cannot be proved nor disproved.
Erwin