Subject: [Leica] Two or three lens travel kit.
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:49:30 -0500

If I were to buy a M series two lens travel kit, I'd buy a 28 Elmarit and
a 50 Summicron.

A three lens travel kit based on budget.  I would probably buy a 28
Elmarit, a 50 Summicron  and a 90 Elmarit.

I would skip the 35 Summilux and use the money elsewhere since your
budget is tight.  But I'm going for a four lens M-kit  so I've got the 35
Summicron ASPH,  50 Summicron and 90 Summicron and I'm saving for a 21
ASPH.

But than again I've assembled a cabinet of equipment.  I use a 20-35 3.5L
, a 50 macro and 80-2004L and two F-1fn's for most outdoor travel
shooting.   I sometimes substitute a 50 1.4 for the macro lens and add a
24 f/2 and a 85 f/1.8 if I might take a couple indoors.  For indoor
events with flash or outdoor events that happen quickly, I use EOS and
three zooms.  For general available light, Leica M.  For available light
where I'll  need either the 24 f/2 or 135 f/2 it's back to Canon FD.

I shoot day in and day out and having 7 bodies and 14 lenses really does
make my life a little easier.  I have days where I would like to chuck
everything but the M kit and just shoot available light.  But some places
I go to are so horrid you'll get zip without flash or they will have
raccoon eyes and some events can't be covered well without zooms and
motors.  There isn't a perfect kit and every one will cause you to make
some compromises.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador