Subject: [Leica] RE: Zooms are virtual insurance
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:17:51 -0500

Mike Johnston wrote:

And hey, to Duane Birkey--to each his own! I _loathe_ zooms, and consider
them
virtual insurance against developing a photographic eye.
<snip>.
For all I know, you may do well enough with
multiple focal lengths, and I'm sure there exist many photographers who
are
enabled by the freedom of using unlimited focal lengths. Me, I like to
learn to
see like the lens sees, then pluck pictures out of whatever visual
panoply I'm
presented with.

************

I work with both zooms and fixed lenses.  Zooms and motors are must for
many things I photograph and I'm expected to come up with a lot of good
shots in a very short time.  Changing lenses means I can't shoot.   I do
some available events with 2 bodies and 5 lenses and I spend a lot of
time changing lenses and I miss a few shots because I can only anticipate
so much.  It's easy to get lazy with zooms I agree, and worldwide, there
are probably more bad pictures taken with zooms than good ones, but they
do allow you to work quickly and to capture images you'll miss otherwise.

My philosophy of seeing what the lens sees is a bit opposite of what Mike
said,  I have the photo pretty well thought out before I lift the camera
to the eye.  I've already picked out what subject, from where, and how I
want the background to appear.  I then choose the lens which is most
appropriate and fine tune composition and everything else at that point.
I will usually shoot it a couple different ways as I do a lot of slide
shows that require a series of images rather than a singular image.

For me, I could care less what the lens sees.  I don't think it sees
anything on it's own, rather it records what I want to show, how I want
it to appear at the moment I choose.  I think it is better to learn to
see in one dimension as the lens sees without having to look through the
camera.  Once you learn to do that, zooms are great.  You'll recognize
what works and what doesn't, and miss far fewer pictures.  It's even more
important as you use M-series cameras as you can't see shallow depth of
field with them just as depth of field preview on SLR's only shows you so
much.

Having said that,  Mike is the editor of my favorite magazine and none of
this should be taken personally.  Sounds like a good topic for

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador