Subject: Re: [Leica] Le Grand Experiment
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:44:13 -0300

> Okay folks, I'm about to leave you again

Nooooo!  You're a much-needed antidote to some of the sloppy writing and
sloppy thinking we have to slog through to get to the good bits.  At
least, before you fade away again, could you...

> There is only a small historical/philosophical/critical tradition
> where photography is concerned, but the best of it is rich. I could
> recommend ten books that could keep anyone occupied for ten years.

...spit out the book-list you teased us with?

(I'm still wondering if you'd put ``Looking at Photographs'' on your
list; I would on mine, but then it all gets hazy when I try to factor
out current interests and guess about lasting, toothsome value.  I
could make better guesses about books of images than about books of
philosophy/criticism.)

> For the next year, the only two lenses I own will both be 50mms--a
> Summicron for the camera and an Apo-Rodagon-N for the enlarger. I'll
> shoot only Tri-X and make only 6x9 full-frame prints on 8x10 paper.

If you can pull this off, you have a far steelier will than I.  And
you'll undoubtedly learn more than I in that period, despite (because
of?) starting off knowing more.  At the risk of offending some of the
intrusively hypersensitive on this list, I quote the apposite old saw:
``Beware of the man who owns just one gun.''

 -Jeff Moore <jbm@interactive.net>