Subject: Re: [Leica] US street shooting laws.....
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:22:45 -0700

Eric:

Are you saying that photographing accident scenes or public events
is only for PJs with press passes?

If I publish a news magazine, am I automatically considered "press?"
If so, how does one go about getting a "press pass?"  Are these
distributed by law enforcement, or does the newspaper or magazine
make their own?

At 06:33 PM 4/13/98 -0500, Eric Welch wrote:
>At 01:18 PM 4/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>< Can I tell a policeman at an accident scene that I am a photographer and
>>that I
>> have the right to be there to document the scene?  Will he ask me for
>> a press pass?
>>
>>This is a practical matter.  Generally, if you want access beyond that given
>>to the general public, they will ask you for a press pass.
>
>Are you an aspiring photojournalist? If so, talk to the local paper.
>
>Press passes are for identification only. There is no such thing as a piece
>of paper that grants you the "right" to access anywhere. Police are
>required in California to let the press into disaster scenes, as long as it
>is safe to do so. In most states, it's a matter of common sense. The press
>needs to be there, and the police have no right to stop them except for
>public safety. Good journalists work with the police to make sure their
>coverage doesn't endanger someone else, or interfere with rescue operations.
>
>It's much easier for us press photographers if some wannabe isn't also
>trying to get in. So if your intent is to become a journalist, then
>welcome, please do so. But if you're doing it for kicks, find something
>else to photograph.
>
>Eric Welch
>St. Joseph, MO
>http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
>Okay, who put a  stop payment  on my reality check?

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com

http://www.5senses.com/