Subject: Re: [Leica] US street shooting laws.....
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 22:48:41 -0500

At 06:22 PM 4/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
>If I publish a news magazine, am I automatically considered "press?"
>If so, how does one go about getting a "press pass?"  Are these
>distributed by law enforcement, or does the newspaper or magazine
>make their own?

Yes, if you publish a legitimate news magazine, you are automatically
considered "press."

Press passes are distributed by arenas, and other closed private venues to
let the press pass their line. You do not automatically gain one just for
being the press.

Police are constrained by 1st Amendment from "licensing" the press. We are
not sanctioned by the government. That's what makes us free. Thus, the
police allow the press in. The piece of paper we hold is for identification
only. There is no legitimacy grated by anyone elses to us.

Our job is to be the eyes of the public, and it's the public's benefit that
grants us the right to cover news. Not because we're something special, or
we have lots of money and power. It's a sacred trust. Some of us take it
seriously.

But you have to be a legitimate member of the press, or the cops can keep
you out of a disaster with no consequence. There are laws in most states
that describe what kinds of things we do and don't have access to as
members of the press.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.