Subject: Re: [Leica] US street shooting laws.....
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:33:24 -0500

At 01:18 PM 4/13/98 -0400, you wrote:

>< Can I tell a policeman at an accident scene that I am a photographer and
>that I
> have the right to be there to document the scene?  Will he ask me for
> a press pass?
>
>This is a practical matter.  Generally, if you want access beyond that given
>to the general public, they will ask you for a press pass.

Are you an aspiring photojournalist? If so, talk to the local paper.

Press passes are for identification only. There is no such thing as a piece
of paper that grants you the "right" to access anywhere. Police are
required in California to let the press into disaster scenes, as long as it
is safe to do so. In most states, it's a matter of common sense. The press
needs to be there, and the police have no right to stop them except for
public safety. Good journalists work with the police to make sure their
coverage doesn't endanger someone else, or interfere with rescue operations.

It's much easier for us press photographers if some wannabe isn't also
trying to get in. So if your intent is to become a journalist, then
welcome, please do so. But if you're doing it for kicks, find something
else to photograph.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Okay, who put a  stop payment  on my reality check?