Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic ? important court ruling
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:50:27 -0500

At 02:30 PM 4/13/98 -0400, you wrote:

>No one has the moral right to walk up to me in public, take my photograph,
>and use it to sell newspapers, without my permission.

Maybe not where you live, but it depends on the laws of a particular
government. It's been decided here that the free exchange of ideas is more
important than a person's objection to a harmless pictures, regardless if
they want it to be used. But luckily for you, and most other people, most
newspaper photographers will honor your wishes. But not your wish to be
asked first, necessarily. That would make our jobs impossible, and our
pictures much less honest, and interesting.

Honest, because the person "caught in the act of being themselves" is often
stifled by the awareness of being photographed.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes