Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos and Art
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:08:14 +0000

Tina Manley wrote:

> "Interested in making visible that which is audible, Erik Hanson creates
> photographic re-recordings of David Bowie albums, made by focusing the lens
> of his camera on the spot where the sound from two speakers converge and
> leaving the shutter open while playing each album from start to finish."

Tina,

Thanks for posting this.  Now when ever people accuse me of being
crazy I have a defense!!!

Back when I was in college I had an instructor (He is now head of the
photography department and one reason I no longer contribute to my
college) who was into the "art" thing.  One of my friends had
forgotten about the assignment being due the following day,  it
was a cold rainy night and he had been drinking so he got his girl
friend to drive him around and he made photos from the hatch back in
his car at around 2 am.

Needless to say most of the stuff looked horrible.  He came to me and
was showing me his stuff and talking about how he knew he was going
to get roasted in class.  I told him to tell the instructor that he
was trying to illustrate how you see the wold after a night of
drinking and how drinking would impair your ability to drive a car
and so on.  Well Sam told this line of BS to the teacher in class and
he bought it hook line and sinker.  Sam made a decent grade on a roll
of out of focus poorly exposed chrome shot while drunk  just because
we concocted a good line of BS for the teacher.

As my cousin who graduated from RIT (Rochester Institute of
Technology) in photography says. "Shoot it out of focus paint it red
and call it art."

BTW I am going to be in Charlotte covering the Panthers first
practice after the draft on the weekend of Ap. 25th.  I'll be getting
to town sometime that Thursday evening and will be dragging along our
editor. If you are around why don't we get together for a beer or
two.

Cheers,

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto