Subject: Re: [Leica] Tina's pictures
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:15:09 +0000

Then Bruce R. Slomovitz wrote:

> pretensions to photography for art's sake.   You're not the kind of
> photographer that Harrison is but describe yourself as an erstwhile

I hope Eric doesn't mind if I jump in here and say something.

First of all I want to say that I like Eric's photos and do not like
my photos being used as an example to insult his work.

Eric is saying (at least I think this is what Eric is
saying) is that he practices a more documentary style of photography
than I am showing on my internet site.  Look closely at my photos and
you will see most of them are shot using several strobe units for
light, almost all are controlled type shooting environments done to
illustrate a stroy.  In editorial photography for magazines this is a
common way of shooting, and is very different from newspaper work.

Now look at Eric's photos on his site and you will see that most of
the photos are shot using available light in non controlled
situations.  This is, I think, the difference Eric is speaking to.

There is nothing wrong with either approach.  One is not
better than the other, they are just different.

To compare one photographer to another and to say "Take note you
should be shooting like this" is not very good IMHO.  When a person
is first starting out as a photographer he does tend to look at
photographers he has liked and try to emulate their styles; but as
time goes on each of us must develop our own style and this is what
makes us distinctive from others.  Eric's photos are very nice and
well done, and just because they are different from mine does not
lessen their value (It probably increases them, actually).

Eric has said that he likes to find the humor in daily situations and
I think you would have to be pretty blind to not be able to see this
in his photos.

I really don't find even the first thing constructive in this tearing
down of each other over what kinds of photos we like to look at and
or make.

Now if we were talking about how to take a damn light meter reading
- ---that would be a different story all together. :)  <Just kidding
here folks!>
Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto