Subject: Re: AW: [Leica] Harrison's pictures
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 21:41:39 +0000

Dr. Jens-Peter Horst wrote:

> if you consider that garbage, then I must say you really have a nice collection of trash in your
> garbage can. Really, great photos. I especially like your sense of color composition. Some of my
> favorite pictures were: Reba & Linda Davis Darius Walker (gorgeous light effect) The tunnel picture
> (travel section) and the girl in the wheelchair (very moody)

Thanks for the comments Dr. Horst.  The reason I use the term
"garbage" goes back to my days in college.  I was at the Atlanta
Seminar on Photojournalism and was out partying with about 10
different photographers from papers all across the southeastern USA
and one of the photographers was referring to one of the others work
as garbage.This fellow was a staffer at the Louisville Courier and
was part of the staff who had just won the Pulitzer so I was amazed
to hear someone refer to his work as garbage.  It was explained to me
that we all shoot garbage, just some peoples garbage isn't as bad as
other's. I kinda like the description as it keeps me from getting to
serious about things.

The Reba and Linda and Darius Walker shots are all available light
concert type stuff.  Reba and Linda at the CMA's, which used to be
lit VERY well.  That was 100 fujichrome at 100 shot at probably
125@2.8. The Darius Walker was Farm Aid and was 400 provia @ 1600and
1/60 @2.8 or so.

> I did not understand why you chose the picture with the deck and the pony in front of it. For me the
> atmosphere of a relaxing evening was not transmitted very strongly, probably because of the unusual
> point of view and the framing you chose. Maybe you could have emphasized that atmosphere more by
> cropping not so close to the pony's shadow and not putting you copyright logo over the shadow of the
> person in the rocking chair.

Ah hah, exactly the kind of comments I was looking for, and
interesting to me that you chose this image to comment on.  It is one
of my favorite because of the shadows and composition, but obviously
it speaks to me more than to you.  I have always used strong light in
my photos to create mood and atmosphere. Once (again while in
college) I had been printing and a friend had also been printing at
the same time and my roommate stopped by and he picked out all of my
photos even though he had never seen any of them before.  I asked him
how he knew they were mine and he said he just picked the depressing
shots! I guess I still like things with a little tension and is
probably why I chose this angle to emphasize the shadows.

The travel photo is on the Blue Ridge Parkway just outside of
Asheville, NC and if you ever make it to this side of the pond it is a
must esp if you come in the fall, but the rest of the year ain't bad.
 The other photo was the cover of a magazine for a story on dealing
with college as a handicapped student for the Shepherd Spinal Clinic
in Atlanta.

> Concerning the picture with the women in the pool, I was wondering how you got the backlighting in
> their hair. Is it only a window (it looks much lighter than one would expect) or did you make your
> assistant jump into the pool to point a flash at them :-)?

No, I did not get my assistant in the water, I did not have the
luxury of an assistant on that shoot.  What you are seeing is a
strobe I had on the far side of the pool on an 8 foot light stand.  I
lit the pool area with 2 strobes 1 on opposite corners.  I got low
for this shot using a 24mm lens.  I was so low I was kneeling on the
inside rim of the pool and was soaking wet.  the lady looked up at me
and saw how contorted I was and started to laugh, making the nice
expression.  (I had one knee on the inside rim of the pool, my face
with camera inches above the water and my big old but stuck up in
the air -- definitely a funny site!) I had to get low to hide the
strobe behind her head.  It made a nice effect, I think.

When the photo editor saw that I had put strobes up around a pool he
had a fit.  Didn't matter the strobes were 10 feet from the sides of
the pool, that there was no one else there but those in the water and
me, and that I had the areas around the stands barricaded with
chairs, he still about went postal on me!

Thanks again for your comments.  You are quite an eloquent writer and
it is a pleasure to share views with you.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto