Subject: [Leica] Subjective lens impression (part 4)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:08:10 +0200

1.5/50 Summarit:
The Summarit was introduced in 1949 (M 1954), and is a coated Xenon (1936).
It shows it's best performance between f 1.5 and f 4, with an optimum at
f 2.8, but you may use it up to f 8 with fine results. It's sharpness is
better than from the coll Summicron, if contrasts are not extremely large,
and comparable to the 1-st version 2/90 M Summicron at f 2.8. It's
out-of-focus rendition is soft to very soft, specially at lower f-stops
(up to f 4). As in the Summar or in the rigid chrome Summicron, far
out-of-focus light sources are shown as circles, whose outer borders are
more bright than the center. The color rendition is a little "flat" (less
saturated) in low light conditon, like from the Summitar at f 2.0, and
less saturated than from the rigid chrome Summicron. Different, the color
rendition is very fine, and almost as good as in the rigid chrome Summicron,
when you have a little sun shine in your pictures. It's a very nice lens
for 50 mm portraits, also from today's view. It's weak part are very high
contrasts at low f-stops (f 1.5 to 2.8). It's a neutral lens with a very
slight tendency to "warm".

1.4/50 M Summilux:
The Summilux was introduced in 1959, and there are 2 versions (2-nd,
1961). There are indications, that the coating has been changed around
1980; I have experiences with a 1981 lens. It's sharpness is comparable
to the 2/50 R Summicron, 1-st version, which is slightly better than
the 2/90 M Summicron, 1-st version. It's out-of-focus rendition also
agrees to the 2/50 R Summicron, 1-st version. Color rendition is rich
and saturated with lots of shades, and agrees to the visual impression.
I see the most remarkable difference to the 1.5/50 M Summarit in the
color and contrast management at lower f-stops under low light conditon:
While the Summarit may produce "flat" or "thin" colors between f 1.5
and f 2.0 in very low light, the Summilux still shows saturated (and
remarkable sharp) pictures. It's contrast is higher than in the rigid
chrome or 2/50 R Summicron (1-st version), but still pleasant (in my
perception). It's a "warm" lens.

1.0/50 Noctilux:
The 1.0 Noctilux was introduced in 1976 (1.2/50 in 1966); there are
indications, that the coating has been changed in the early 80ies. I
have (some) experiences with a 1981 lens. You may use it between f 1.0
and f 8, with astonishing results at f 8 (for a f 1.0-lens). I prefer
the lens between f 2.8 and f 4.0. At f 2.8, the sharpness is lower than
from the 1.5/50 Summarit, maybe comparable to the 2/90 M Summicron (1-st
version) at f 2.0 or a 1981 2/90 R Summicron at f 2.0. It's out-of-focus
rendition is soft to very soft and modeled, maybe as "creamy" as in the
2/90 M Summicron. Unfortunately I've never had a result like Tina's
b/w "Mesquito Indian Man"; my own experiences at f 1.0 compare to
well-known LUG members' pictures on various web sites. To me, it's most
remarkable performance is based in the lens' management of (light)
contrasts: no matter how strong, the lens can handle it. The color
management, specially at f 2.8 or f 4.0, reminds more on the 2/90 M
Summicron than on any 50 mm lens. It's a neutral to "warm" lens with
a tendency to white-yellow.

continued ...

Alf

Alfred Breull