Subject: [Leica] The LUG's unwritten charter
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 05:46:02 +0000

Stephen Gandy writes:

>>To avoid similar  problems in the future,   please post guidelines of
>>what LUG members may or may not write or think.

Now here is an interesting topic. Some examples of what I think one can, and cannot,
speak of:

Things we can speak of freely:

The superiority of all things Leica.
How great xxx LUG members photos are.
How great the LUG is.
Serial #'s, equipment issues and lens reviews.
Travel info and hints.
HCB, Salgado and, incongruously, AA.
Anything MMoss, MJS, Ted, Eric or Jim have no problem with.
Open discussion of the ethics of single individuals, provided they have 'strange'
sounding names.

Things we can bring up but will always cause some agita:

Nikon.
Eric's talent as a photographer.
Bokeh.
How great xxx dealer is.
Inconequential ramblings about nothing.
Film preferences.
Metering technique.
Outright character assasination, so long as it isn't directed at anyone of our prom queens
(or queens/kings, for the politically correct).

Things we do bring up that really aren't LUG-worthy discussions:

Politically charged disdain of an issue (the NEA, Clinton/Lewinsky)
Francesco Sanfilippo's Playboy lawsuit and whether he's guilty of crime.
Spouses, spouse jokes and UV filters.
Always someone from CIS who asserts that someone is lying and/or misrepresenting
themselves in some way. Always wrong about it.

Things that are not permitted on the LUG (By the response they've received):

Anything MMoss, MJS or Eric decide is worth deriding.
X-rated photos.
Honest criticism of anything or anyone favored by MMoss, MJS, Eric, Tina, Jim, Dan
or Alf.
Honest criticism of MMoss, MJS, Eric, Tina, Jim or Alf.
Poor reviews of favored dealers; however true.
Outright character assassination of one of our high school-esque 'in' crowd.
Putting into writing a list of permissable/unpermissable topics of the LUG, on the LUG.

Danny Gonzalez