Subject: [Leica] Subjective lens impression (part 3)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:01:10 +0200

Rigid chrome 2/50 M Summicron:
The rigid chrome M Summicron was introduced in 1956, and is identical
to the NF Summicron (Erwin Puts). There are two different coatings: The
first goes off after (long years) cleaning, and the front element looks
grey; the second is blue to blue-violett and stays untouched. The lens
shows its best results between f 2 and f 8, with an optimum at f 4.
It's sharpness is so impressing, that I feel it as comparable to the
current Summicron at f 4 or f 8. It is definitely more soft at f 2.0 or
f 2.8, specially in the corners, but it's a "pleasant unsharpness", like
the 1/50 Noctilux at f 2.8. Different, I don't like it's sharpness at
f 11 or 16 (it's like the coll Summciron at f 8), because the loss of
sharpness between f 8 and f 11 is too strong. The out-of-focus rendition
is soft and pleasant, and tends more to the Summitar, specially in lower
f-stops (f 2.8 to f 4), than to the coll Summicron. The modeling effect
is less strong than from the coll Summicron. The color and grey tone
rendition is very rich, specially in daylight up to (max) f 4, 1/250,
E100s. The color saturation depends on the type of pictures: In lower
light (1/60, f 4, E100s) the colors are very saturated, the shades are
very rich; in bright sun light (above f 4, 1/250 E100s), the lens looses
it's magic and is as fine as the Summitar or Summarit. It is my "one
and only" 50 mm lens for rainy or strongly overcast days (if I look
for color richness), and in b/w up to f 4, 1/250, 200 ASA (if I look
for richness in grey tone rendition). The lens is a "cold", low to
middle contrast lens.

Black 2/50 Summicron:
The "black" Summicron was introduced in 1969, and is - according to
Laney - the officially 2nd version (thanks to i.e. Erwin Puts, we know
better). I had this lens for some month, about 25 years ago, and I
can give you my reasons why we "divorced" pretty soon - although you
may call me something like a Summicron manic. Compared to the rigid
chrome Summicron, my lens had an increased contrast but a reduced
sharpness. The contrast agreed to the current 1.4/50 M Summilux,
and the sharpness to the 2/50 coll Summicron. Maybe I had a "Monday
production", maybe not. I was so disappointed by this lens at that time
(in comparison to the rigid chrome Summicron), that I sold her pretty soon.
In my memory (which may be errorous), the color rendition is comparable
to the coll Summicron resulting from the enhanced contrast. Today, I'm
sure, that I over-reacted 25 years ago, and that my expectations resulting
from the rigid chrome Summicron (which I had sold to purchase the black
Summicron) were too high. On the other side, I've never touched this
type of lens again.

Current 2/50 Summicron:
The current Summicron was introduced in 1980. I bought it last year after
reading Erwin Puts comments, which says in short: "simply the best".
Whatever Erwin says on his site or in his recent Summicron evaluation
and comparison, also agrees to my impression. The lens is astonishing
sharp at f 2.0, and very sharp above. The color saturation is extraordinary
rich, and the contrast is high. - But, it is not "my" Summicron (I sold
it after half a year). For me, the color saturation in combination with
it's high contrast was too strong, in all types of light, it reminds me
on colors of children sweets (i.e. "Smarties" or "Easter eggs").
Additionally, I missed the rigid chrome's softness in the out-of-focus
areas and the richness in grey tones. In my mind, and maybe depending
on my type of film-development-print-paper-combination, the contrast in
the grey tones is too strong. To give an example: If you have a soft/ tender
(?, phrase) subject, like a landscape in fog, you need to underexpose the
b/w film at least 1/2 or one f-stop with this lens to get a negative,
which's print agree to your memory from the scene. The rigid chrome
Summicron gives a correct negative without correction. The lens is a
neutral, high contrast lens.

continued ...

Alf

Alfred Breull