Subject: [Leica] LUG Police Apology
From: John McLeod <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 07:44:34 +0000

about what LUG members may or may not write or think", I joked last night
that I am in control of all ethical and moral content of the list, etc.  In
the clear light of morning, and before reading any LUG responses (if any) to
this posting, I realize that this was a lame attempt at humor and a slight
to Steven.  For this reason, I would like to apologize to him and the rest
of the LUG for, at the very least, wasting bandwidth and, at worst,
insulting him.

Regarding Christian Becker and his comments regarding Eric's site, I have no
problem whatsoever with freedom of expression, honesty, and candor.  He,
along with the rest of us, can say whatever we want in this forum.
Frankly, I am amazed myself sometimes at the free flow of divergent ideas
that this list engenders, certainly in comparison to the more restricted,
"permissable" comments that make it into general discussion or the media in
the area in which I live (San Francisco).

While it is also true that comments such as Mr. Becker's CAN make for an
interesting exchange of ideas (other than lens contrast or sharpness, for
example), I was initially reacting to the fact that his comments were
unsolicited.  If Eric had asked for reactions to the artistic merit of his
photographs, or if that were the topic under discussion, I would have had no
problem with Mr. Becker's remarks.  But to simply volunteer that he is
unimpressed with the message of Eric's body of work seemed unnecessary and
somewhat insenstive.  While Mr. Becker certainly has the right to express
his ideas, I and others also have the right to react to them.  Both are part
of the free exchange of ideas.  At the risk of sounding like Richard Nixon
("I am not a crook"), I am not a censor and welcome the exchange.

John McLeod