Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: P/S-messages despite use of a Leica
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 21:24:18 -0400

My apologies for including so much referential text.  I would like to take
courteous exception to your point Shawn.  I think note should be taken of
the fact that, as owners and (hopefully) users of one of the finest pieces
of photographic equipment in the world, we are all interested in the use to
which this marvellous instrument is put.  We're all interested when someone
talks about Cartier-Bresson, or Salgado, or about anyone whose work has
artistic merit.

I agree it takes some courage to make one's work available for viewing and
discussion in a forum like this.  And I appreciated the opportunity to look
at Eric's work.  However when you do this kind of thing, you must know you
are opening up your work to criticism.  That's part of the artistic process
and if you're going to pretend to be a practitioner of any art, you have to
accept that.

I'm not a professional photographer like Eric is.  I'm a computer scientist.
But I've taken photography classes at places like the Maryland Institute
College of Art.  A large and important part of classes like that is
criticism by one's fellow students.  I didn't like it at first either, but I
feel that it helped my photography.  A photographic should say something and
if anyone feels that a person's photos are banal or meaningless or
uninteresting, that person should say so.  That's part of the artistic
process.

Bruce S.