Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 and 28mm?
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:56:14 -0700

- ----------
> From: Martin V. Howard <
>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 and 28mm?
> Date: Wednesday, April 08, 1998 8:43 AM
>
> Jay LeBlanc wrote:
>
> >It seems I'd be better off just buying a separate bright line finder for
my
> >M2, but I'd like to hear if others share my initial impression, or find
the
> >28 frame works well for them.
>
> I've read in a few books that some photographers who own Leicas without
the
> 28mm frame, simply go ahead and assume that the whole viewfinder window
> corresponds to about 28mm.  How valid is this assumption?
>
> M.
>
> --
> Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,

Jay,

As Martin pointed out, the full frame of my M-4 is very,  very close to
what you will get with the 28 mm. It is however, very hard to see if you do
wear glasses (which I don't). I finally bought the 28 viewfinder and found
it to be much better to work with. I may now use the 28 on my CL (which I
do quite often ) and have proper framing. When I bought the new M-6 last
year I used it very often without the finder and at first was quite pleased
with it. I now find that the finder mounted on the M-6 gives me a nicer
frame with which to work and I  find myself using it more often even though
technically I really don't need to.

The depth of field is so nice on the 28 mm that I find myself zone focusing
a lot and just using the finder in more or less of a snapshot mode. I am
aware that a number of people on this list have had problems with their
finders both physically and mentally but so far I have had no problems with
either. I do use the newer plastic finders for both the 21 and 28.

Hope this helps ............. If I can add more, please let me know.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA
USA