Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 and 28mm?
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:07:04

At 17:43 08/04/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Jay LeBlanc wrote:
>>It seems I'd be better off just buying a separate bright line finder for my
>>M2, but I'd like to hear if others share my initial impression, or find the
>>28 frame works well for them.
>
>I've read in a few books that some photographers who own Leicas without the
>28mm frame, simply go ahead and assume that the whole viewfinder window
>corresponds to about 28mm.  How valid is this assumption?
>M.

I think you won't know if it works for you unless you try it. I tried this
and comparing my guess at what was in the whole frame of an M4-2 compared
to the 28mm frame in my M6, I found I couldn't guess near enough, even with
practice, to be confident of getting what I wanted in the picture, framed
the way I wanted. I kept going too high or too low. But if you were less
fussy about exactly what was in and what was not, or just better at keeping
your eye centred in the viewfinder, I think it could work well. Of course
the 28mm framelines don't tell you exactly what's in the picture either,
but they work well enough for me to give me the feeling of confidence I
seem to need.

Joe Berenbaum