Subject: Re: [Leica] British <-> American translations
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:53:38 -0700

Without looking it up or spending time on the subject I know of written
statements that go back at least 50 + years with a  direct relationship to
photography.

These statements cover both American and European photographers during
W.W.II. I believe that with a little digging we could find references that

I do know that if I were to spend any time on this subject I would develop
a shooting pain in my head.

I could calm myself by shooting my shuttle through the weft of my loom or
getting in my canoe and shooting some rapids.

I beside all of that ................. what is wrong with the connection to
shooting a firearm. Marksmanship and gun handling has been around much
longer than photography and is a skill of which many of us are proud. There
is a skill required in using a hand held camera that is very similar both
physically and mentally to that of shooting a firearm properly and I can
see a direct relationship between them. Not everyone who enjoys the sport
of shooting a firearm is a threat to society and to imply that the term as
used in photography is somehow suspect is a ridiculous notion.

This however is not the forum  and I will say no more.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA
USA