Subject: Re: [Leica] 2/90 R Summicron rumor
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 10:34:41 -0500

At 09:37 AM 4/5/98 +0200, you wrote:

>I'm not so sure, that Solms will update this lens. They have the
>fantastic 100 mm, and the no less fantastic 1.4/80 ... why should
>they offer an APO 2/90 ? I guess, they will stop the production
>of the lens completely, and offer just the 2.8/90 R lens for low
>budgets. But, I hope, that I'm wrong.

There is no way Leica is going to abandon the 90 Summicron. It's an
extremely popular lens, and a very good compromise between the 100 Apo
Macro and the 80 Summilux. An aperture of f/2 is significantly better for
available light work than f/2.8. The distance between 1.4 and 2.8 is too
wide, and this lens is a perfect fit in-between. I would more expect the 90
Elmarit to go away because the 100 Apo Macro is so close, and a better lens
to boot. Oops, as Pascal points out, the 90 Elmarit is already gone.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He who laughs last thinks slowest!