Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 10:28:40 -0500

At 08:49 AM 4/5/98 +0200, you wrote:

>I am not so much interested in theoretical or filosofic arguments, only
>if one or the other way of implementing the multizone exposure system
>results in better results in the field or not. Does the F5 system lead to
>"better" results (or a higher number of usable shots) than the R8, as one
>could imagine, or is this just hype?

Having now used both cameras in many different lighting situations, I'd say
they are both superb metering systems. But I'd give the F5 the edge for
being able to handle more tough lighting situations.

That being said, it's not enough to justify going one way or the other.
They both have one weakness. That is they both don't handle extreme
backlighting very well. But I wouldn't expect it. With a little exposure
compensation (in many situations with the F5 +.7 stops, the R8 +1) they
seem to both handle quite a bit of backlighting. Just remember to reset
when moving on. Which is MUCH faster and easier to do on the R8.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He who laughs last thinks slowest!