Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #282
From: Yods1 <Yods1@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:41:01 EST

Hi, I'm in the opinion-seeking mode before I switch from Nikon to Leica. Donal
has been generous with his advice and I'd appreciate others who have some to
offer. I don't want to buy one system and then have to switch, and I can't buy
both yet. I'm a newspaper photographer in So. Cal, do some freelance on the
side and plan to go 100% independent as soon as I can after my paper goes all
digital, which they're planning to do before long.
	I shoot editorial stuff--mostly chrome but some B&W neg too, a lot of the
chrome in low light around maximum aperture, sometimes in situations with a
lot of movement and I'm in the middle of it; i.e. celebrating or angry crowds,
etc., 90% of my shooting is with wide-angle lenses 20mm-35mm.
	I love the M's and feel that they're my kind of camera, but I'm sure I'll be
missing moments while I'm re-framing after focusing in some situations such as
above. So I'm thinking R's for practical purposes.
	I'm wondering if the R glass is comparable to the M glass, and whether it's
so much better than Nikon that it would be worth the switch (be honest! :-) ).
	My other question is about the delay between pressing the shutter and the
release of the mirror in the R's which I find so annoying. It would make a bit
of a difference in some situations, though having never used them I can't tell
how much.
Thanks for any opinions, posted or private...
Dave Yoder