Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's inability to do better
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:24:22 -0500

Dan -

While I'm sold on the Leica Ms and believe that they're the best cameras
for me - if for no other reason than that my aging eye does much better
with a range finder than with a reflex - and that the lenses are
spectacular, I'd suggest that you put an F5 through its considerable
paces before you write off some of its amazing performance as advertising
hype.

My son, who is <underline>finally</underline> graduating from the School
of the Museum of Fine Arts seems to have become a skateboarding
photographer - don't say it - and shoots with an F5, an F3, and multiple
flashes. The metering, both flash and available light, on the F5 truly
has to be seen to be believed. I saw what he could do with the F3, and
now see the results with the F5, and the diferences aren't advertising
hype. The combining of available light and flash are mind-blowing. And
the speed and accuracy of the autofocus on the F5 is far beyond that on,
say, the N90. As to comparisons of the new 80-200 f 2.8 Nikon Zoom and
the R zoom, it may well be that the Leitz lens is technically better, but
having seen what the Nikon can do, I would guess anyone would be
extremely hard pressed to find any real-world improvement in the results
obtained with the Leitz.

None of which is to say that I'd give up my M6 and lug around his pile of
bricks...

B.D.

At 09:53 AM 3/30/98 -0500, you wrote:

>At 08:54 PM 29-03-98 -0600, Eric wrote:

>[snip]

>>helps. What's REALLY cool about this shutter, that makes it better than
any

>>other shutter in the world, is that it tells you when it malfunctions.
So

>>you don't nuke important film with a bad shutter. Imagine being a
National

>>Geographic photographer shooting a world championship boxing match,
only to

>>find out he has no pictures? That's a great feature every
(electronic)

>>camera should have.

>Look, I can imagine all sorts of things.  How often have National

>Geographic photographer lost pictures while covering world
championship

>boxing matches (NG covers boxing???) due to shutters malfunctioning,
and

>how many have been saved because of the new Nikon F5 shutter?  I think

>features like this are marketing noise, pure and simple.  Nikon has
always

>pushed gimicky things like this.  3D matrix metering?  Minolta's had it
for