Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's inability to do better
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:53:50 -0500

At 08:54 PM 29-03-98 -0600, Eric wrote:
[snip]
>helps. What's REALLY cool about this shutter, that makes it better than any
>other shutter in the world, is that it tells you when it malfunctions. So
>you don't nuke important film with a bad shutter. Imagine being a National
>Geographic photographer shooting a world championship boxing match, only to
>find out he has no pictures? That's a great feature every (electronic)
>camera should have.

Look, I can imagine all sorts of things.  How often have National
Geographic photographer lost pictures while covering world championship
boxing matches (NG covers boxing???) due to shutters malfunctioning, and
how many have been saved because of the new Nikon F5 shutter?  I think
features like this are marketing noise, pure and simple.  Nikon has always
pushed gimicky things like this.  3D matrix metering?  Minolta's had it for
years, just never mentions it in the ads.

Dan C.