Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's inability to do better
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:27:54 +0200

B.D. wrote:
>Dan -
>
>While I'm sold on the Leica Ms and believe that they're the best cameras
for me - if for no other reason than that my aging eye does much better with
a range finder than with a reflex - and that the lenses are spectacular, I'd
suggest that you put an F5 through its considerable paces before you write
off some of its amazing performance as advertising hype.

>My son, who is finally graduating from the School of the Museum of Fine
Arts seems to have become a skateboarding photographer - don't say it - and
shoots with an F5, an F3, and multiple flashes. The metering, both flash and
available light, on the F5 truly has to be seen to be believed. I saw what
he could do with the F3, and now see the results with the F5, and the
diferences aren't advertising hype. The combining of available light and
flash are mind-blowing. And the speed and accuracy of the autofocus on the
F5 is far beyond that on, say, the N90. As to comparisons of the new 80-200
f 2.8 Nikon Zoom and the R zoom, it may well be that the Leitz lens is
technically better, but having seen what the Nikon can do, I would guess
anyone would be extremely hard pressed to find any real-world improvement in
the results obtained with the Leitz.

>None of which is to say that I'd give up my M6 and lug around his pile of
bricks...

>B.D.

At least, this is a honest opinion!
It sounds true and I'm sure it is. Everything on the Nikons is not
advertising hype and everything is absolutely necessary. There are some
fancy things that might be useless but there should be some features that
represent a real improvement. It turns out that the mattrix metering is know
recognised as "necessary" or at least useful and this was a Nikon
improvement. For me, it's useful at least and what I like with the Nikon I'm
using (F801s and mostly F4) is the combining of available light and flash
which I was not able to get with other cameras such as Nikon F3, FE2 and FM2
or Leicaflex SL2. I'm professionaly shooting B/W with tungsten and flash at
the same time mostly with AI micro Nikkors (scientific photography of
experimental setups and experiments. The F4 is great because it makes a good
balance between the flash and available light even with old AI lenses. Maybe
the R8 would be great (the main trouble is the motor) but It's still too
expensive and I won't spend my grants to get such an expensive photographic
setup (at least not now). For all other things, I use the Ms that do not
have any mattrix metering or even anything (M2 or M4-P!) and I'm happy with
them.

I don't think Eric quoted this one :
When you don't have what you love, you got to love what you have!
And Muddy Water would say : 'If you can't get what you ain't, you can't
loose what you ain't never had!"
Thib.