Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Hello 'less is more'-party
From: RBedw51767 <RBedw51767@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 06:59:42 EST

<< You wrote:
 >Leica doesn't want to keep up. They want to go their own way, and they >make
the compromises where they are important to keep the price of
 >their cameras down to the level they can live with. (...)  3D Matrix
 >RGB metering? That's less than two years old. Leica takes
 >longer than that to add any technology. Leave it up to them to put it
 >in a future camera, if it really pans out.<

Leica, in my opinion, is trying to keep price down and is doing so with
compromises on the R (perhaps on the M, as well).    This will kill Leica in
the long-run.  I want quality and don't mind paying for it.  I want matrix
metering and I want auto-focus from Leica.  Will we ever see it?  It's a
shame, but it is probably a long-time off.  If they can't produce motor drives
for the R8 within two years of introduction of the camera we can assume that
current technology is years away.  I traded my Nikon F5 system in for an R8.
I like the R8 but it is not suitable for all of my needs.  I recently added a
Nikon F4s with several lenses.  Two different uses.  However, it's a shame
that I had to go back to a Nikon to get auto-focus.

Bob B