Subject: [Leica] Fisheye-Elmarit-R 16mm f/2.8 again
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:22:54 +0200

Friends,

I am back to talking about the Fisheye-Elmarit-R 16mm f/2.8 (posted some
questions about comparison between this lens and the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8
some month ago).

The Fisheye is an old Minolta design from the beginning of the seventies
(it says "made in Japan"). I am not sure about its optical qualities. In
a recent test by the French magazine R=E9ponses Photo several Fisheye
lenses from all the big names were tested (Contax, Canon, Minolta, Nikon,
Pentax, Vivitar), but not the Leica Fisheye.
Conclusion of the "test" was that all Fisheyes were more or less
optically the same with not much output difference. The Minolta Fisheye
tested was the AF version of the older non-AF with the same number of
lens elements and groups as the Leica one (they are both exceptional in
this regard - the others have noticeably less elements). This lens got
good results but it was said to be of an old design in need of an
overhaul. It has the same filter revolver as the Leica.

Upon enquiry at the Leica customer service, it was confirmed to me that
all Leica Fisheyes still have the inscription "Leitz Wetzlar" on the lens
barrel. Also the "presently sold" ones. There seems to be little demand
for this lens according to Leica. So "old" stock from Leitz (Minolta) is
still used, but retrofitted with the ROM contact strip for additional
electrical functions with the R8. This lens is sold for around 2,000 USD
over here.

I guess not many LUGgers use this lens or have access to it, but could
those who do please tell me about their experience with it in terms of
optical quality? How is center/corner sharpness? The Contax fisheye
apparently is much softer on the corners than in the center, which could
be a nuisance for the large image produced by a fisheye. A Fisheye image
demands even sharpness in my opinion.

Anyone knows if Leica is preparing a recalculated version of the Fisheye?
Or is the present one already so good that there would not be much point
in it? Should I be hesitant in buying it?

In Leica brochures it is said that this lens gives high contrast already
wide open and "good" sharpness for the entire aperture range. Note that
"good" is not the same as "very good" or "excellent", which are often
used in Leica brochures to describe the resolving power of some other
lenses.

Any info would be gladly welcome! Thanks.

Pascal
Belgium

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r