Subject: Re: [Leica] Fisheye-Elmarit-R 16mm f/2.8 again
From: Fred Hess <fredhess@wxs.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:24:20 +0200

Pascal wrote:
> =

> Friends,
> =

> I am back to talking about the Fisheye-Elmarit-R 16mm f/2.8 (posted som=
> questions about comparison between this lens and the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2=
=2E8
> some month ago).
> =

> The Fisheye is an old Minolta design from the beginning of the seventie=
> (it says "made in Japan"). I am not sure about its optical qualities. I=
> a recent test by the French magazine R=E9ponses Photo several Fisheye
> lenses from all the big names were tested (Contax, Canon, Minolta, Niko=
n,
> Pentax, Vivitar), but not the Leica Fisheye.
> Conclusion of the "test" was that all Fisheyes were more or less
> optically the same with not much output difference. The Minolta Fisheye=

> tested was the AF version of the older non-AF with the same number of
> lens elements and groups as the Leica one (they are both exceptional in=

> this regard - the others have noticeably less elements). This lens got
> good results but it was said to be of an old design in need of an
> overhaul. It has the same filter revolver as the Leica.
> =

> Upon enquiry at the Leica customer service, it was confirmed to me that=

> all Leica Fisheyes still have the inscription "Leitz Wetzlar" on the le=
ns
> barrel. Also the "presently sold" ones. There seems to be little demand=

> for this lens according to Leica. So "old" stock from Leitz (Minolta) i=
> still used, but retrofitted with the ROM contact strip for additional
> electrical functions with the R8. This lens is sold for around 2,000 US=
> over here.
> =

> I guess not many LUGgers use this lens or have access to it, but could
> those who do please tell me about their experience with it in terms of
> optical quality? How is center/corner sharpness? The Contax fisheye
> apparently is much softer on the corners than in the center, which coul=
> be a nuisance for the large image produced by a fisheye. A Fisheye imag=
> demands even sharpness in my opinion.
> =

> Anyone knows if Leica is preparing a recalculated version of the Fishey=
e?
> Or is the present one already so good that there would not be much poin=
> in it? Should I be hesitant in buying it?
> =

> In Leica brochures it is said that this lens gives high contrast alread=
> wide open and "good" sharpness for the entire aperture range. Note that=

> "good" is not the same as "very good" or "excellent", which are often
> used in Leica brochures to describe the resolving power of some other
> lenses.
> =

> Any info would be gladly welcome! Thanks.
> =

> [...]

I use the Fish-Eye Elmarit 16mm, for several years. When possible I
always carry this lens in my photo-case. I use this lens more often
aspected when I bought this lens. I work as a photojournalist and
natura-photographer. This lens is very usefull for dramatic effects
especialy in B/W. =

I took pictures of industrial landscapes and in public-demonstrations,
which turned out to be very powerfull. In nature-photography this lens
is very helpfull (when you don't owe a Super-Elmar 15mm) to capture
largely scaled landscapes. As long as you keep the horizon in the middle
of the picture you almost don't see a lot the distortion caused by this
type of objektives.

The optical perfermance is -to my opion- within the margins of what you
shoult or might expect of a LEICA-lens, althougt it is made by Minolta.
Full opening gives allready good results, 1 or 2 stops closed gives best
results (as usual).
It is rather compact, lightweight lens, a minor disadvantage is the fact
that you cannot use all the programms of the R-Leica's with this lens.

Regards.

- -- =

Fred Hess

Den Haag   / the Hague
Nederland / the Netherlands (NL)

tel + 31 70 325 83 12    fax + 31 70 325 86 34