Subject: Re: [Leica] SCALA, etc.
From: Dooley <dooley@iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 06:11:40 +0800

Art,

The "In Our Time" Magnum book states that HCB's prints used in the exhibition and
the book are done by "Pictorial Services, Paris."  In fact, the book shows that of
over fifty photographers listed, only eight did their own printing.  Other printers
used include "Igor Bakht, New York", and "Schneider/Erdmann, New York," if these are
a bit closer to you.  I tend to agree with David, that someone else never knows just
what you want.  Unfortunately, it can take a long time (and a lot of paper) to learn
how to get your prints to look the way you want them.  You can probably find a
darkroom for hire if you look around.  I would recommend it.  If you get it done by
someone else you miss the magic of seeing a good photo appear out of nothing.  Then
again, you also miss the disappointment of seeing a bad one come out of nothing.

Sean